CZECHOSLOVAK SOCIETY OF ARTS AND SCIENCES
Czechoslovak Society of Arts and Sciences (SVU)
a special conference
Czech Americans in
Transition: Challenges and Opportunities for the Future
Czech Americans in Transition: Challenges and Opportunities for the Future
A Conference to be Held in Conjunction with the Historical Celebration of the 100th
Anniversary of the Slovanska Podporujici Jednota Statu Texas (SPJST)
The Conference will be held at the Bell County Expo Center in Belton, Texas on July 12-13, 1997.The program will focus on the following three issues of interest to Czech-Americans:
1) Ethnicity and the Preservation of Language and Culture. (Includes presentations on history and genealogy).
2) Czech-American Archives and Libraries and Their Future.
3) Relations Between Czech-Americans and the Czech Republic.
The open format of the Conference will allow discussion of other topics of interest to the participants. Whenever appropriate, Slovak aspects would be covered as well.
The Conference participants will
have the opportunity to attend various cultural and social programs scheduled during the
two-day celebration, all of which will be held on-site in the Expo Center. The events
1) band and orchestra performances throughout each afternoon and evening;
2) folk singing and dance performances;
3) a display of folk costumes;
4) historical presentations focusing on the 100-year history of the SPJST;
5) museum and archival displays;
6) demonstrations of traditional cooking. Presentations on the new Czech cultural Centers to be built in La Grange and Houston, Texas, are also planned. An estimated 10-20,000 people are expected to attend the two-day celebration.
Hotel accommodation for SVU members is available in nearby Temple, Texas.The most convenient destination for air travelers is Austin, Texas. Special group rates for air travel to Austin and rental car travel to the hotel in Temple are available through MEGATRAVEL, a travel agency located in Temple. For more information concerning air travel and local accommodations call Sherry Hollinger at MEGATRAVEL: 800-725-1006, ex. 251.
The Conference fee is $ 20.00 for the SVU members and $ 25.00 for non-members (spouses and children will not be charged any fees). The Conference participants will be admitted to the cultural programs free of charge. Please send your application with the registration fee (made to SVU) and a description of your proposed presentation, if you are planning one, to Dr. Clinton Machann, Department of English, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX 77843-4227. If you have any questions, contact SVU President, Mila Rechcigl at 1703 Mark Lane, Rockville, MD 20852 or telephone or send FAX to (301) 881-7222.
Preliminary Application Form
SVU Conference in Texas, July 12-13, 1997
Send your application with your check ( made to SVU in the amount of $ 20) to Dr. Clinton Machann, Department of English, Texas A & M University, College Station, TX 77843-4277.
Telephone and/or Fax:
Check enclosed: $
Title of Proposed Presentation:
(Please attach a short abstract or description, if you plan to give a paper)
back to TEXAS Conference